Seafood is an excellent source of top quality protein, and compares favorably with meat and chicken. Not only that, it’s packed with many essential nutrients your body needs to function well, every day! We really could go on and on about the amazing benefits seafood has to offer, but let’s start with these 5 to help you get it easily to your dining table!
1. Seafood is really nutritious!
Seafood includes vital nutrients needed for health and wellness at all ages, including omega-3s, iron, B and D vitamins, and protein. Fish and shellfish supply the nutrients, vitamins and omega 3s essential for strong bones, brain development, and healthy heart and immune system. Eating seafood at least twice a week reduces the risk of death from any health-related cause by 17%. The fats found naturally in seafood, omega-3s EPA and DHA, are essential to our health.
On average, Americans consume only 80 of the recommended 250-500mg of omega-3s EPA+DHA per day. Aso, fish has more vitamin B12 and vitamin D than any other type of food, according to the FDA.
2. Seafood brings families together
Researchers and health experts endorse and promote the lifelong benefits of family meals. When adding seafood to your family meals, everyone can benefit from the nutrition it provides. Not only that, it’s super easy to make and with its many species, you can find something the entire family will enjoy. Numerous studies show that home-cooked meals nourish the spirit, brain and health of all family members. Bringing seafood to your table brings unity to the entire family.
3. Seafood can be prepared quickly and is easy to cook
Many fish dishes can be made in 15 minutes or less. Not sure how to prepare seafood? No worries. The best way to tell if a fish is done is by testing it with a fork. Insert the fork at an angle, at the thickest point, and twist gently. The fish will flake easily when it’s done, and it will lose its translucent or raw appearance. Also, you can cook the fish to an internal temperature of 140° to 145°F.
4. Seafood is extremely versatile
Fish is versatile and comes in many forms! Whether fresh, canned, or frozen, there are many ways to enjoy seafood.
- When using fresh: Seafood should be consumed within one to two days when it’s fresh or thawed. If you’re eating it right away, prepared seafood is a quick and easy option, as well. Swing by the sushi station or prepared foods section for a meal on the run. For the wallet: Seasonal or local fresh options tend to be more budget-friendly at your fish counter. Both farm-raised and wild fish are good nutritional choices, so talk to your seafood counter expert about best deals, what’s freshest and recipe ideas.
- When using frozen: If you plan to save your seafood for a later date, this is the way to go. It’s also great for fast family-friendly meals such as pre-seasoned fish that can be cooked quickly in the oven or even microwave. Frozen seafood is just as good for you, especially with today’s flash-frozen-at-sea technologies and can be saved for up to six months. For the wallet: Frozen seafood is often a budget-friendly option, especially if you can buy larger packages and store them. Check for sales and coupons for even better values.
- When using canned, tinned or pouched: There are many canned seafood options for a quick and easy meal or snack, and they serve as a great source of protein. For the wallet: Canned seafood is often the most budget-friendly option. Keep an eye out for sales and stock up on this shelf-stable pantry protein.
5. Seafood is SO delicious
Fish and shellfish can be described in many ways—from sweet and delicate to strong or muddy—regardless, fish and seafood is anything but boring when you flavor it well. There are so many ways to make your seafood dish tasty! Take your family meals to the next level by adding different herbs or spices to enhance the delicate natural taste of fish or seafood. They also work well in many of your favorite cuisines.
Leave a Reply