Hi, Seafoodies. Did you know that the 2020-2025 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends we eat seafood at least twice a week? Despite the health benefits gained by eating seafood, only about 20% of Americans are hitting the goal, which is what Seafood Nutrition Partnership is trying to work on.
Use this simple game plan to help you tackle the 2 out of 21 meals a week, it’s easier than you think!
Check out these tips to jump-start your seafood game.
Play #1: Make a game plan!
- Start by mapping out your schedule for the week, adding in where you plan on eating your meals
- With this in mind, lay out your plan and create a shopping list for meals you want to try
- Take a look at our recipes for lots of seafood inspiration!
Play #2: Stock up on canned and frozen seafood
- When you’re at the grocery store, stock up on canned and frozen seafood, especially when they’re on sale or you have a coupon
- Canned seafood is a budget-friendly option and can be added (no-cook) into salads, pasta, or other easy dishes
- Try this recipe for Mediterranean-style stuffed peppers using canned tuna!
Play #3: Cook once, eat twice
- Try doubling recipes to get ahead on cooking and have dinner or lunch ready for later. Recipes that freeze well, such as stews and casseroles, are great ones to double
- Cook an extra piece of fish or shrimp to use for leftovers on salads or in wraps
Play #4: Try an air fryer
There are so many different ways to cook seafood quickly, one being the air-fryer. Turn it on and leave it cooking while you make the rest of your meal.
- Pro-tip: Salmon cooks in just 8-10 minutes!
We’d love to hear from you! Show us how you are tackling #Seafood2xWk by using the hashtag on social media or comment below.
Print this helpful guide out to get your plan game-day ready!