Schedule of Events
State of the Science Symposium 2021
This year we’d like to focus on how we can translate the science of seafood into behavioral change at the consumer level. Your presentation may focus on science, health messaging, seafood sustainability, marketing, or behavior change.
9:00 am-11:00 am Pre-symposium networking, breakfast, health check, and verification before in-person participants can enter the event.
11:00 am – 11:10 am Linda Cornish provides the Official SOSS Opening
11:10 am – 12:10 pm Latest Seafood Nutrition Science Updates
- Dr. Tom Brenna – Translating the DGA
- Dr. Susan Carlson – Preterm birth
- Dr. Philip Calder (Remote) – Seafood and Immune Health
- Gretchen Vannice, RDN – Communicating Seafood Health Science to Consumers
12:15 pm – 1:00 pm Lunch Break, Cooking Demo by Jessica Miller, RDN,
1:00 pm – 1:30 pm Establishing a National Seafood Council and expanding the Eat Seafood America! Campaign
1:30 pm – 2:15 pm Latest Sustainable Seafood and Food Systems Science Updates
- Dr. Ray Hilborn (Remote) – Sustainable Seafood and Fisheries Fundamentals and Progress and Environmental Impacts of Food and Sustainability
- Dr. Michael Tlusty – Food-based Dietary Guidelines for Seafood Do Not Translate into Increased Long-chain Omega-3 Levels in Diet
- Dr. David Love – Seafood at Retail, Food Service, and Consumer Factors
- Tim Fitzgerald, EDF, UNFSS Summit, and Blue Food Assessment
2:15 pm – 2:45 pm Break/Sponsor/networking. Yoga/stretch break
2:45 pm – 3:55 pm Seafood Marketing 101 and Driving Consumer
- Arlin Wasserman with Changing Tastes – Seafood Marketing 101 and Driving Consumer Behavior Change
- Dr. Tom Brenna, Dr. Susan Carlson, Gretchen Vannice, Andrea Albersheim, and Jessica Miller – Q/A with Scientists and ESA!
3:55 pm – 4:00 pm Closing
4:00 pm – 5:00 pm Cocktail Reception and Networking/Exhibits