2019 is just around the corner. As we prepare for the New Year, let’s take a deep dive into what fun food trends are ahead and how seafood fits perfectly into them!
- Bowls: From poke to Buddha, bowls are hot. It’s a simple recipe: brown or white rice, a bunch of veggies, and protein (and of course that’s going to be seafood!). Try this tuna poke bowl – so good! It’s an easy meal that is sure to continue to satisfy cravings in 2019.
- Seafood as a Snack: Healthier snack food continues to be a trend. Everyone needs quick and easy to-go bites! Maybe that’s why we’re seeing several new fish jerky options on the market – and we’re here for it!
- Sea greens: Innovative sea greens are becoming prevalent in dishes like seaweed butter and kelp noodles. Snacks from water lily seeds, plant-based tuna alternatives with algae ingredients, crispy snackable salmon skins with omega-3s and kelp jerkies are a few new products hitting shelves next year.
- Seafood and Mental Health: More and more science has come out in 2018 pointing to nutritious food and brain health. Seafood is a functional superfood with omega-3 DHA that will continue to be key to your mental health.
- Multicultural Flavors: Forty seven percent of Generation Z (those born after 1997) believe multicultural foods, such as Korean and Indian are the norm. Ethnic flavors and foods like kimchi, gochujang, Thai curry, harissa, piri piri, lemongrass, furikake, chimichurri and yuzu are expected to proliferate in 2019.
- Sustainability: Thinking about the future of food security and environmental health is always on trend, but in 2019, grocery stores, coffee shops, and restaurants will make eco-friendly products and packaging a priority. Also, sustainable food and agriculture will be top of mind for many consumers and for those in the food industry. Learn more about seafood sustainability and why we care!
- Frozen Pre-Seasoned Seafood: Convenience is key and so is frozen pre-seasoned fish and shellfish. Busy consumers will look to the frozen aisle to help make meal prep as easy as 1, 2, 3.
We know one thing for sure – #Seafood2xWk will alway be on trend.
Tell us, what do you think will be the big seafood trends for 2019?