We’re in the midst of holiday season – complete with endless food and drinks everywhere we look. While this time of year is always busy with holiday parties and family get-togethers, it’s important to stay on track and balanced so you can head in 2019 feeling great. Here are a few simple tips to help you stay on track over the next couple of weeks.
- Fuel Up Before You Head Out: Have a healthy snack or even a small meal before you head out to a holiday party, such as a tuna pouch with crackers or carrots.
- Get Sleep: Sleep and rest is crucial to feeling your best. While the holidays are busy, it’s important to try and get 7-8 hours of sleep each night.
- Move More: Whether it’s a walk around the office or trying a new exercise class, it’s important to stay active and move throughout the day.
- Eat #Seafood2xWk: Seafood is among the highest-quality proteins and offers many additional health benefits, including heart health and mental health. In fact, people who regularly eat fish are 20 percent less likely than their peers to have depression. The American Psychiatric Association has endorsed the fatty acids in fish as an effective part of depression treatment. Going to a holiday potluck? Bring a seafood dish and help boost your family and friends seafood needs for the week.
- Eat Colorfully: The more colors, the better! At a buffer? Build your plate with colors and keep it balanced with protein, veggies and carbs.
- Drink More Water: Staying hydrated is key when you’re on the go. It’s recommended to drink 64 ounces of water per day, so consider swapping out a soda for water or setting hourly reminders to drink water throughout the the day to achieve your goal.