New Year, new seafood trends, new reasons to eat #Seafood2xWk. From breakfast and lunch to dinner and snacks, seafood is trending all around. Check out the top 8 emerging seafood trends for 2018:
2. Seafood and Brain Health: Nutritious food and brain health are closely connected. Omega-3 DHA, found in seafood, is abundant in your brain and helps neurons trigger and cells regenerate. Omega-3 as an ingredient is expected to proliferate in 2018, and food with brain health claims are expected to be a big trend.
3. Seafood and Weight Loss: Fish was recently named a zero point food on Weight Watchers, so there’s no better time than the present to stock up on seafood for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. As Oprah says, "Seafood is your friend."
4. Snacking on Seafood: Healthier snack food is in, and we know of a few seafood products that fit perfectly in the snack food category. While tuna pouches have been popular in the past, sardines are making a resurgence in the market. New products, such as salmon jerky, will also be popular for a protein-packed snack option.
5. Poke Bowls: The popular bowls, made with rice and chunks of raw, marinated tuna or other fish along with vegetables are famous in Hawaii and spreading in popularity across the country.
7. Seafood as a Superfood: Superfoods are always on trend, and seafood definitely falls into this category. What makes a food super? It’s packed with nutrients and health benefits, so seafood, like salmon, trout or oysters, is a natural fit with its abundance of omega-3s.
8. Dining out with Seafood: Seafood is expanding into consumer lifestyles as it’s making more and more appearances on menus - four out of five restaurants, to be exact. People know it’s good for them and it tastes great, so stay hooked on fish and shellfish in 2018.
It’s hard to believe that the holiday season is upon us. While this time of year is often busy and filled with social gatherings and parties, it’s important to stay on track and balanced so you can start 2018 on the right gill (or foot). Here are a few simple tips and tricks to incorporate into your lifestyle to stay on track over the next month.
As we mentioned above, this month at SNP, we’re partaking in a health and wellness challenge to stay on track during the holidays. While we always follow our Healthy Heart Pledge, this month we’re going above and beyond with healthy eating, extra movement, and taking the time to put ourselves first during a usually hectic time. We’ll be taking at least 10,000 steps each day tracked in FitBit along with weekly challenges, such as exercising five times per week or drinking 8 glasses of water daily. Please email us if you would like to join this challenge and we will add you to our FitBit group.
The staff, Board of Directors, and chef ambassadors of the Seafood Nutrition Partnership invite the public to join us in sharing the health impacts they have achieved through the Healthy Heart Pledge. We invite you to share your story!
Seafood Nutrition Partnership is a 501(c)3 with a mission to inspire a healthier America through partnerships and outreach to raise awareness about the essential nutritional benefits of eating seafood.
© 2018 Seafood Nutrition Partnership. All Rights Reserved.